Study programme title in Est.
Tehnoloogia valitsemine ja kestlik areng
Study programme title in Engl.
Technology Governance and Sustainability
TalTech study programme code
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
Faculty / college
M - School of Business and Governance
Head of study programme/study programme manager
Language of instruction
Self-paid study programme
Nominal study period
Study programme group
Business and Administration
Broad area of study
Business, Administration and Law
Business and administration
Study programme group
Management and administration
Granting the right to conduct studies in the study programme group
õppe läbiviimise õigus
Validity date of the right to conduct studies in the study programme group
No. of the decision granting the right to teach in the study programme group
BA degree, higher education obtained on the basis of applied higher education with the duration of 3 years and at least 180 ECTS credit points. Show more...
Admission according to admission requirements established by TalTech.
Study programme aims and objectives
Study programme aims and objectives:
- To give an overview and systemic knowledge of different practical and theoretical approaches to economic development, Show more...
technology, innovation, governance, and their interrelationships, while covering also the increasing role and significance of de-growth, green growth, digital transformation and other practices for sustainable development and technology governance.
- To provide students with an understanding of the role of different societal stakeholders in contributing to competitiveness, technological development, social cohesion, and sustainable development and in creating the required knowledge base.
- To explain the nature of innovation and technology in the light of different disciplines, including diverse streams of economics, governance, technology studies, political science and history.
- To develop interdisciplinary skills and prepare: (a) public servants and policy-makers who are able to analyse the most up-to-date issues of technological and socio-economic development, solve wicked issues and contradictions of socio-economic development, and to develop knowledge-based policies to be able to address these challenges, and to run public sector organizations dynamically and in an innovation-supporting way; (b) private and third sector staff capable of analysing the most up-to-date issues of technological and socio-economic development, green transition and sustainable development, and understanding the societal changes, contradictions and opportunities created by technological and economic developments; (c) middle and top level managers in the private and the third sector who collaborate with the public sector to understand the peculiarities of the public sector, and thus cooperate with the state in the areas of technological development, innovation, and sustainable development.
- To develop students' ability to carry out independent research and prepare them for doctoral studies.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
Upon successful completion of the curriculum, the graduate:
- knows the basic concepts and developments in the fields of economics, sustainability studies, technology and innovation studies, and governance, and explains the interrelationships between these areas;
- understands the role of innovation, digital and other technology-led transformations in society, public sector, and in the broader context of sustainable transitions;
- outlines the most important factors for ensuring sustainable socio-economic transitions, increasing the welfare of a society, and enhancing the country’s competitiveness;
- presents theoretical positions and criticism of the field-related scientific disciplines;
- identifies the relationships between the theoretical positions and practice, and demonstrates critical-analytical capacities in conducting various analyses;
- independently formulates specialisation-specific real-life problems and research questions, and solves them under the given conditions with adequate methods. He/she is able to critically evaluate his/her approach to solving research problems;
- identifies and knows how to develop capabilities required for managing transforming and innovation-supporting organizations and demonstrates the ability to adapt to complex, high-risk situations by being aware of the ethical aspects, opportunities, constraints and the social role of his/her activities;
- demonstrates the ability to initiate, organize and plan, and has acquired teamwork skills and willingness to work in the field of research or development and broader analytics (consultancy, research and innovation teams), and is able to convey knowledge through teaching, consulting and supervising.
Completion of the curriculum in the required amount, and the successful defence of the graduation paper in conformity with the requirements set by the TalTech Senate. Show more...
In order to obtain Cum Laude diploma the graduation paper must be defended for the grade "5" and the weighted average grade must be at least 4,60, where all grades from diploma supplement are taken into account.
Master of Arts in Social Sciences (Technology Governance and Sustainability)
Study programme version structure :
total ECTS credits